Post Abortion Side Effects (PAS) Definition: The stress reaction experienced after having an abortion. PAS is a sub-category of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
PAS Symptoms (including percentage of women who experience them after having an abortion):
- Guilt (61%)
- Anger (45%)
- Remorse (45%)
- Depression (53%)
- Suicidal Thoughts (32%)
- Suicide Attempts (28%)
- Flashbacks to Abortion (28%)
Factors that will determine how severely a patient experiences PAS symptoms include:
- A crisis situation surrounding your pregnancy
- Urgency you feel when making the decision to have an abortion
- Absence of a support system
- Obligation to keep your pregnancy a secret
- Denial about recognizing and resolving your losses
Quiz: Rate Your Risk for Experiencing Post Abortion Side Effects
- Are you single?
- Are you 18 or younger?
- Are you in your second or third trimester?
- Is having an abortion a difficult decision for you?
- Are you worried that your family/friends might find out that you are pregnant?
- Do you feel pressured by someone to have an abortion?
- Do you feel pressured by your circumstances to have an abortion?
- Do you feel rushed to have an abortion?
- Do you have any emotional or psychiatric problems?
- Have you had prior emotional or psychiatric problems?
- Do you have any unresolved trauma or grief?
- Have you been sexually assaulted or abused?
- Do you lack support from family or friends?
- Do you believe abortion is wrong?
If you answered “Yes” to two or more of the above questions, you are at HIGH RISK for experiencing PAS.
Watch a Video About the Stages Of Your Baby’s Growth:
American Pregnancy Association (2004). Medical Abortion Procedures. Retrieved from:http://www.americanpregnancy.org/unplannedpregnancy/medicalabortions.html
The Elliot Institute (2011). Abortion Risks: A list of major psychological complications related to abortion. Retrieved from:http://afterabortion.org/2011/abortion-risks-a-list-of-major-psychological-complications-related-to-abortion/